#Dental abscesses & Tooth #Decay
What is a dental abscess?
A dental abscess is a collection of pus that forms in your teeth and spreads to the surrounding tissue. It forms as the result of a bacterial infection.
The main symptom of a dental abscess is a severe, throbbing pain. The pain usually comes on suddenly, gets gradually worse over a few hours or days, and causes teeth to be tender and sensitive.
There are two types of dental abscess:
- periapical abscess – where the abscess forms under the tooth (this is the most common type of dental abscess)
- periodontal abscess – where the abscess forms in the supporting gum and bone
Both types are caused when bacteria build up inside your mouth and usually occurs due to a combination of:
- poor dental hygiene – not cleaning your teeth and gums properly and regularly (read our advice on how to brush and floss your teeth)
- consuming lots of sugary or starchy food and drink – the carbohydrates in these encourage bacteria to grow, causing tooth decay
At asset chemist online doctor, we have a range of prescription medication listed below to help with dental infections/dental abscesses.
- Amoxicillin 500mg 21 caps – Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic indicated for the treatment of commonly occurring bacterial infections.
- Metronidazole 400mg 21 tabs – Treatment of acute ulcerative gingivitis and acute dental, pericoronitis and apical infections
What is tooth decay?
Tooth decay is a common problem that occurs when acids in your mouth dissolve the outer layers of your teeth. It is also known as dental decay or dental caries. Although levels of tooth decay have decreased over the last few decades, it is still one of the most widespread health problems in the UK.
Signs and symptoms
Tooth decay may not cause any symptoms until it has reached an advanced stage. As the problem develops, symptoms of tooth decay can include:
- tooth sensitivity – you may feel tenderness or pain when eating or drinking something hot, cold or sweet
- grey, brown or black spots appearing on your teeth
- bad breath
- an unpleasant taste in your mouth
If left untreated, tooth decay can lead to further problems such as a cavities (holes in the teeth) gum disease or dental abscesses (collections of pus at the end of the teeth or in the gums).
If you have any of the following problems: Tooth decay, gum disease or tooth ache, asset chemist have a selection of products available to help with these listed below.
- Orajel Dental Gel Extra Strength – Fast Effective Temporary Relief of Toothache Pain
- Oraldene Antibacterial Mouthwash 100ML – Soothing antibacterial and anti-fungal action
- Corsodyl Mouthwash Mint 300ML – Prevention of gum disease, the maintenance of oral hygiene and reduction of dental plaque
- Colgate Duraphat 5000PPM Fluoride Toothpaste 51ML – The prevention of dental cavities