Revive your #Eyes – Dry Eye Syndrome..
What is dry eye syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome is a very common and usually benign condition that is characterized by a disturbance of the tear film. This abnormality may result in disruption of the ocular surface, causing a variety of symptoms and signs and interference with quality of life.
This leads to the eyes drying out and becoming inflamed (red and swollen) and irritated.
Dry eye syndrome is also known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca, or simply ‘dry eyes’.
What causes dry eyes?
As well as an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, dry eye can be caused by the drying out of the tear film. This can be due to dry air created by air conditioning, heat or other environmental conditions. Other conditions that may cause dry eyes are:
- The natural ageing process, especially during menopause
- Side effects of using certain medicines such as antihistamines and contraceptivepills
- Diseases that affect the ability to make tears such as Sjogren’s syndrome,rheumatoid arthritis and collagen vascular diseases
- Structural problems with the eyes that don’t allow them to close properly or a problem with the tear ducts
Ask your doctor what you can do to help prevent dry eyes occurring. Your doctor may recommend you see an optometrist (an optician who examines eyes, tests sight and prescribes and dispenses glasses and contact lenses). If the diagnosis is uncertain, your doctor may refer you to an ophthalmologist (a medical doctor who specialises in eye care and surgery).
Symptoms of dry eye syndrome
The symptoms of dry eye syndrome usually affect both eyes and often include:
- feelings of dryness, grittiness or soreness that get worse throughout the day
- red eyes
- eyelids that stick together when you wake up
- temporarily blurred vision, which usually improves when you blink
- Optrex Atimist Spray 100 doses
- Optrex Allergy Eye Drops 10ML
- Optrex Contact Lens Friendly Eye Drops
- Optrex Eye Wash With Eye Bath 110ml
- Optrex Multi Action Eyewash
- Optrex red eyes Relief drops 10ML
- Optrex Sore Eyes Drops 10ML